Saturday, February 28, 2009

Curtis Sittenfeld/Prep

Prep

In Prep, Curtis Sittenfeld expresses upon the idea of negligence towards outcasts. He expresses that, even though people make mistakes, they can still be judged for making them. The main character in Prep, Lee Fiora, is a primary example. She had to face her classmates because of one mistake her teacher made. Even though Lee was not the one who made the mistake, she was still being criticized for it. She says, "I would never have friends; the best I'd be able to hope for from my classmates would be pity.". I think that Sittenfeld is trying to say that neglecting people in a certain situation like that is not the way to resolve a matter.

I understood this story very well. There was nothing that confused me. It did not throw me off at all.

So far, we have not really talked about neglecting teenagers in class. However, it is a significant topic concerning them and it would be interesting if it was addressed more in class.

I have to say that this story made me think about teenagers deserving respect. They deserve to be heard and not get shut out by anyone. They are still trying to find themselves and I bet that it is not easy for them.

1 comment: